Monday, March 23, 2009

Coconut Tomato Soup with Ginger


This soup is amazing- I learned how to make it in my cooking class. It makes a huge stock pot of soup so you can divide the recipe in half for a smaller portion that still serves 8.

Ingredients:
3 Tbsp olive oil
6 oz red onion, small dice
3 oz carrot, small dice
3 oz celery, small dice
1 jalapeno, seeded + diced small
2 Tbsp ginger, minced very small
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
2 oz flour
3 quarts (12 cups) vegetable stock
4 lb canned tomatoes
2 quarts (8 cups) coconut milk
fresh cilantro, chiffonade (optional)
scallions, sliced thinly (optional)
salt & pepper to taste

In a heavy saucepan, sweat the mirepoix (onion, carrot and celery) for 3 minutes. Add jalapeno, ginger, cumin, and coriander. Sweat for another 3 minutes. When softened, stir in flour to make a roux. Slowly whisk in stock, bring to a boil. Add tomatoes and simmer for 30 minutes.

You can either strain the soup through a strainer, pressing down to get all the juices, or I prefer to blend with an immersion blender to make a thicker soup. Return soup to a simmer and stir in coconut milk. Simmer for ten minutes to heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with cilantro and scallions for garnish (optional).

4 comments:

  1. Sounds amazing, I want to tase it ! Can you make some for the upsherin ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll make it for Shabbos when you come in May. You should become a follower of my blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is a COCONUT tomato soup but can I substitute half and half for the coconut milk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You probably can, but it would alter the taste of the soup because there is so much coconut milk in the recipe. It doesn't have a coconut flavor if that is what you're worried about. It just makes it creamy and its a lot healthier than regular cream.

    ReplyDelete

About my Personal Chef Service

A Personal Chef provides high quality, reasonably priced meals, custom designed to your individual tastes and dietary needs. I allow you to regain time otherwise spent shopping for and preparing your own foods or eating out.

Check out my website for more information: ww.takehomechef.net